7.23.2007

Crocheting Together Your Fish Blanket - A How-to Guide

This is a step-by-step how-to guide for those of us who created our own fish patterns or used one from the Internet and are now faced with the tedious task of creating a blanket out of those fish.

1. Arrange your fish
2. Start with the tail of one fish and the mouth of a second, using a crochet hook the same size as your fish knitting needle (I'm using a US8). Holding wrong sides together draw your seaming yarn through the edge loops of both fish. Yarn-over and create a single crochet (note that this photo does not show the yarn over sc step).
3. Insert hook again through both fish with wrong side together. Notice how I am inserting once between each "lump." Each fish should have an equal number of "lumps" so if you use the "lumps" as a guide your fish should match up perfectly.

4. Yarn-over and pull your seaming yarn through both fish - 2 loops on hook.

5. Yarn-over and pull through both loops

6. 1 loop remains on the hook

7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 until you reach the end of your fish AND CONTINUE without cutting your seaming yarn. This is how your fish rows will look.

When you reach the edge of the blanket cut the yarn & pull through the last loop to secure. Then go back to the beginning and add another fish to the row you have just completed (see photo #1). When all of your fish rows are together single crochet together the open vertical seams in a similar fashion on continuous chain for each vertical row. When you reach the horizontal center crochet seam you can either go over the seam, or under it, but be consistent.

Finally, single crochet around the entire blanket and then, if desired, do a row of double crochet. To allow for ease you may want to do a few extra single crochets at the four corners and the rounded edges of the fish. More pictures of this to follow.

Please leave a comment if you have any questions and I will get back to you!

7 notes:

the sock monkey said...

photos of the vertical seams and the edging to come...

Amysatx said...

Thank you so much for this! I'm about 30 fish away (out of 160) from finishing my blanket and needed to start thinking about seaming them together. How much yarn did you use for the seaming? The yarn I'm using is being discontinued so I want to be sure I have enough stashed. Also, how long did the seaming take you?

BathroomFreak said...

Greetings Sock Monkey!

I was researching the fish blanket and landed on your totally fabulous site. Your info on putting the blanket together brought a huge smile to my face.

I was hoping that you could lend me some of your aid. I am hoping to create the fish blanket for my mom as a surprise gift. I have done a lot of searching and you and one other site to have their fish with eyes. I love that little detail and think it really pulls the blanket together.

Sadly, I can't seem to find the pattern with the eyes included. I don't have any wise counsel at hand to help in figuring it out. I was hoping on bended knee that you could help me by posting the pattern or pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you so much for any help or advice you can offer!

the sock monkey said...

I estimate that I used three skeins of ASC at 98 yards each to seam and edge the blanket. Each skein knit 1.5 fish.

The pattern I used can be found in a link on the main page of my blog. It's in the "blogs, stores & other distractions" section under "Tesselating Fish Design."

BathroomFreak said...

Ah! This is what happens when you get inspired late at night lol. I can't imagine what my fish will turn out to look like *grin*.

Thank you for your help. I'll be sure to head on over to that section and check it out!

lexiconic said...

Hi,

I also love your design with the eyes, but when I click on "Tesselating Fish Design" under the
"blogs, stores & other distractions" section it takes me to a page that says Private Page. Am I clicking on the wrong thing?

SueS said...

I too have been searching for the fish with eyes pattern. I have two fish patterns but without the eyes and wanted to begin using up miscellaneous scraps but wanted to include eyes on the fish. Could you point me in the direction of a pattern for the fish with the eyes or a tutorial on what to change to include the eyes.
Thanks in Advance
Sue S - Allentown, PA